COMPANY NAME: GOODAYON (https://gooday.io)
FOUNDER: Alem Abreha
INSPIRATION TO START THE BUSINESS:
Lack of digital presence and access for low economy-class gig workers. Gig workers in home cooking, cleaning and repair services have very limited access to the market, and hence they are mostly underemployed or unemployed. GoodayOn created an open marketplace where they can find gig opportunities based on their location (nearby). On the employers’ side GoodayOn also solves the challenges of finding gig workers.
BACKGROUND OF FOUNDER:
-Education: MS Degree in Computer Engineering (George Mason University)
-Work experience: more than 15 years work experience as Systems Engineer in Fortune 500 companies.
DESCRIPTION OF BUSINESS ACTIVITIES:
GoodayOn is a gig platform service that serves both employers and gig workers via mobile application and a call center. The platform serves with a workforce pool of more than 20,000 gig workers across Addis Ababa. The platform serves an average traffic of 150 service requests per day.
- Years in Operation: under 2 years
- Number of staff: 11 full time employees
- Shortage of women gig workers that are in very high demand. The participation of women on digital platforms is generally very low in Ethiopia, due to low digital literacy that is heavily correlated with gender.
- High operational overhead in onboarding gig workers
- Served more than 220,000 gig service requests to date
- More than 50,000 gig matching in less than 2 years
- Gig marketplace serving more than 20,000 low income gig workers
FUTURE EXPANSION PLANS:
- Scaling to regional cities in Ethiopia in the next 3 years
- Still in the pre-revenue stage while building traction.
FUNDING REQUEST (USD)