-INSPIRATION TO START THE BUSINESS
Most of the products which are available in the market for agriculture sectors such as for farmers and animal husbandry are non-organic chemicals which affect the environment. They also affect the farmer’s productivity on the land as well as his health. In addition, all users of the farmer’s crops for food purpose people also become afflicted with a health problem. Observing this disturbing situation, Tarikayehu developed organic products that protect the farmers, their land, and the consumers of their products.
BACKGROUND OF THE FOUNDER
Educational background: B.Sc. degree in biology, minor in Chemistry. Also B. Ed degree in Hotel Management.
- 25 years of experience in teaching in high school and TVET college
- A part-time employee of Hawassa University as Assistance Lecturer
- Collaborating with Hawassa University in developing her products
- Received a medal of recognition for her products from the Federal Government Science and Technology Minister
- Awarded a prize from the Ethiopian Climate Innovation Center program for Women Innovators in 2015, $90,000 ETB
- Obtained three certificates from the Ethiopian Intellectual Property Office for her products
-DESCRIPTION OF BUSINESS ACTIVITIES
Producing and Supplying:
2.Organic Animals Supplementary Food
3.Organic Pesticides and Insecticides
Tarikayehu is facing challenges in attempting to supply her products widely to farmers in the Hawassa region where she is located. This is due to the scarcity of production machines and a shortage of capital.
Tarsam Green products are contributing to sustainable farming practices in rural communities where farmers are using the products at a level above the expectation of the founder. The products are making the following specific contributions:
- Contributing to the health of farmers
- - Preserving the productivity of the land
- - Preserving the health of surrounding communities by helping farmers harvest and sell healthy crops that are organic/chemical-free
Tarikayehu seeks to expand her company above the cottage industry level at which she is operating. She is waiting to receive land that had been designated for landfill purposes. Upon receiving the land, she seeks to build a factory to scale up production of her bamboo-based fertilizer and expand her product lines to include natural soap and cosmetics.
Tarikayehu also seeks to establish a centre to train street children and orphans in her production process so that they can earn a livelihood while going to school.
Approximately 30,000 USD